Brief History of the Church of God of Prophecy, Fox Hill, New Providence, Bahamas
Internationally headquartered in Cleveland Tennessee, USA, the Church of God of Prophecy (COGOP) is represented in 125 countries around the world. It is greatly influenced by the Protestant, Evangelical, Wesleyan Holiness and Pentecostal movements and uses the Presbyterian form of government.
On the Day of Pentecost, Jesus fulfilled His promise to the disciples and baptized them with the Holy Ghost and power (Acts 1:8; 2). This Pentecostal fire was spreading throughout the Unites States of America (USA) during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. The fire reached the shores of the Bahamas when Edmund Barr (a Bahamian from Great Exuma) returned home in 1909 with his wife Rebecca after being filled with the Holy Ghost in the USA. They went throughout the colony of the Bahamas, preaching the message of repentance, sanctification, holiness and baptism in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues.
Many persons, including Edmund and Rebecca Barr, Arebella Eneas, Maddie Gooden, Anna E. Marshall, Frances Goodson, W.C. Hockett, Daniel Scott, Alfred Sweeting and William Lightbourn conducted evangelistic efforts in the Fox Hill area between 1910-1911. As a result of these evangelistic efforts, the Church of God, Fox Hill local church was established by Carl Padgett, Colonial Overseer on July 16, 1913 at Abner Street. Daniel Scott was installed as Pastor and William Jarett was appointed Clerk. The Fox Hill local church is the third eldest church in the diocese of the Church of God (later Church of God of Prophecy - 1953) in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.
As a result of a powerful hurricane in 1929 the edifice was totally destroyed. These undaunted pioneers were not deterred by this slight setback. A New edifice was constructed by Alvin S. Moss and dedicated on February 9, 1930 by Colonial Overseer Bishop Stanley R. Ferguson. The building was constructed on Reeves Street on a piece of land donated by Charles Dames.
As time progressed, the necessity arose for the construction of a new edifice. Under the leadership of Bishop Alvin S. Moss (Colonial/National Overseer) a new edifice was constructed at the intersection of Romer Street and Fox Hill Road on property purchased from Elisa Flowers. The edifice was dedicated May 4, 1952.
As a result of the exuberant, fiery, Holy Ghost services, the Fox Hill members were nicknamed “Live Wires”. Through the collaborative efforts of the National Overseers (Bishop Brice H. Thompson and Elgarnet B. Rahming), District Overseers, pastors and members, the ministry of the church advanced through its evangelistic thrusts, revivals, prayer meetings, Sunday school, Bible Studies and Christmas productions.
God has been faithful to us over the years and we thank Him for the rich history of this local church. Being led by the Lord, National Overseer Bishop Franklin M. Ferguson appointed Minister Maurice Simms (Senior Pastor) and Minister Darrel Ferguson (Associate Pastor), who were installed on March 30, 2015. God has given us a vision to advance the Kingdom of God through the ministry of the Fox Hill local church. By His grace we will forge ahead, building upon the foundation that was laid by our predecessors. To God be the glory great things He has done and will continue to do.